Final Self-Assessment

Throughout the course, I encountered various writing assignments that challenged my skills and expanded my understanding of different genres. In this essay, I will reflect upon my experiences with the rhetorical essay, literature review, collaborative research project, and final presentation. I will discuss the difficulties I faced, the improvements I made in each writing process, and how these assignments helped me achieve specific objectives. These assignments not only enhanced my writing abilities but also deepened my understanding of the subjects and expanded my collaborative and source usage skills.

The rhetorical essay was an entirely new genre for me, and initially, I found it exceptionally challenging. Each step of the writing process, from drafting to revision and editing, played a crucial role in producing a quality paper. To overcome this challenge, I had to improve my approach to each stage. For instance, since I chose to analyze a film, the drafting phase required a detailed outline considering various quotes and themes. Moreover, this essay helped me realize the diverse interpretations of art and rhetoric, which resulted in variations in the message received by the audience. However, this realization only came to light during reflection. Although I believe I have more to learn to fully achieve Objective 1, I am confident that I have accomplished Objective 2.

The literature review, along with the resume and cover letter, stood out as one of the most practical assignments. Specifically, in scientific writing, the literature review provides a comprehensive overview of numerous sources and articles, equipping the audience with a solid understanding of a topic and relevant reports. Consequently, the audience expects a nuanced and intellectually sound summary of sources, which required careful consideration. Additionally, this assignment offered the opportunity to work in peer groups, promoting collaboration and enabling the development of valuable teamwork skills. Thus, I believe I successfully achieved both Objective 3 and Objective 4 through this assignment.

The collaborative research project introduced me to various modes of composition that were initially unfamiliar. Creating an infographic and composing a website were new experiences for me. However, by the end of the project, my group and I realized the value of utilizing different literary outlets to effectively convey our stance to audiences of any size. Infographics simplified complex information into visually appealing graphs and pictures, while videos and images depicted the gravity and importance of the discussed issue. Consequently, I am confident that I achieved Objective 5 and Objective 6 through this project, as it expanded my skills in using diverse composition methods.

During our final presentation, we heavily relied on the sources we gathered to create a cohesive and comprehensive collection of slides. This process helped us improve various source usage skills outlined in Objective 8. We seamlessly integrated and quoted sources to ensure selected passages made sense within the context of each slide and flowed effortlessly in the presentation. Additionally, we paraphrased, summarized, and synthesized sources that discussed important points, striking a balance between depth and brevity. The inclusion of a reference slide also allowed us to practice our citation abilities. Thus, I believe I have successfully achieved Objectives 7 and 8 through this final presentation.

The writing assignments I encountered throughout the course not only posed challenges but also offered valuable opportunities for growth. The rhetorical essay, literature review, collaborative research project, and final presentation allowed me to enhance my writing skills, gain a deeper understanding of various subjects, develop collaborative abilities, and improve source usage techniques. While I acknowledge the need for continued learning to fully achieve certain objectives, I am confident that I have made significant progress in reaching. These assignments have undoubtedly enriched my overall academic experience and prepared me for future endeavors.